Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers (RDAs) are popular among experienced vapers who enjoy customizing their vaping experience. These atomizers offer unparalleled flavor and vapor production but require coil building and maintenance. Here’s a guide to RDAs and how to use them effectively:
- Basic Design:
- RDAs have a simple design, consisting of a deck with posts for coil installation and a top cap with airflow control.
- They lack a tank section, so e-liquid is dripped directly onto the coils and wick.
- RDAs allow vaporesso pods to build their coils and install them according to their preferences, providing full control over resistance and coil material.
Building Coils for RDAs:
- Choose a suitable wire material, such as Kanthal, stainless steel, or nichrome, and the desired gauge (thickness) for your coils.
- Coil building kits, coil jigs, and tools like wire cutters, ceramic tweezers, and ohm meters are essential.
- Coil Types:
- RDAs accommodate various coil types, including single coils, dual coils, Clapton coils, and more. Experiment with different styles to find your preferred setup.
- Coil Resistance:
- Calculate the desired resistance of your coil using Ohm’s law. Ensure it falls within a safe range for your battery and vaping style.
- Most RDAs can be used with coil resistances ranging from 0.2 ohms to 1.0 ohm.
- Coil Installation:
- Secure the coil leads to the posts on the RDA deck, ensuring they are positioned evenly and without any shorts.
- Use a coil jig or screwdriver to shape the coil and position it close to the airflow.
Wicking Your RDA:
- Wicking Material:
- Use organic cotton, Japanese cotton, or other suitable wicking materials to feed e-liquid to your coils.
- Avoid using too much cotton, as this can hinder e-liquid absorption.
- Wicking Technique:
- Thread a strip of cotton through the coil, ensuring it has slight resistance but can still move freely.
- Trim the excess cotton, leaving enough to reach the deck’s juice well without choking the coil.
Using Your RDA:
- Dripping E-Liquid:
- Drip e-liquid directly onto the coils and wick through the RDA’s drip tip or a designated opening.
- Be mindful not to over-drip, as excess e-liquid can leak through the airflow.
- Airflow Control:
- Adjust the airflow control on the RDA’s top cap to customize the draw resistance and vapor production.
- Experiment with different airflow settings to find your preferred balance between flavor and clouds.
- Battery Safety:
- Use high-quality, authentic batteries with the appropriate amp rating for your coil’s resistance.
- Always calculate the current draw on your battery and stay within safe limits.
- Regularly clean your RDA, including the deck, posts, and top cap, to maintain optimal performance.
- Check for loose screws and connections to prevent misfires.
RDAs offer a unique and highly customizable vaping experience, but they require a good understanding of coil building, wicking, and battery safety. If you’re new to RDAs, consider seeking guidance from experienced vapers or tutorials to ensure a safe and enjoyable vaping journey.